25 April 2012

From the Fatty

My name is Andrew Jones and I am a Fatty. “Oh, Andrew, don’t be so hard on yourself!”, you might say. Well, that’s the thing, isn’t it? I’ve been hard on myself by becoming a Fatty. BUT ALL THAT IS CHANGING. Yesterday marked Day One of my weight loss journey. Sure, I’ve “dieted” before or ate more “healthy” foods, but in the end, it wasn’t a lifestyle change. It wasn’t permanent. It was a Band-Aid over a shot to the jugular.

It wasn’t always this way. You see, my parents used to be Fatties, too. And yes, they will read this. And no, I don’t think they will be mad at me saying this. We’ll see at Christmas-time. Anyway, I was always the athlete in the family. I played every sport imaginable while they sat in the stands. I even went to a military school and remained somewhat fit though college (although I started tailing off toward the last two years). I was, to borrow a friend’s words, a “lean, mean, efficient killing machine” and they were “mouth-breathing land monsters.”

And then something very strange happened. Both of my parents made the decision to get fit and DID IT. In less than a year my parents dropped weight like it was their job. And not just pounds via exercising, they started eating differently. I specifically remember spending Thanksgiving with them, looking in their fridge and wondering “Who ARE you people?” There was nothing but Greek yogurt and vegetables and…well, healthy food. I am estimating that my Dad probably has lost about 80lbs. and my Mom about that much as well (though, being the old farts that they are, they probably won’t ever tell me).

And then I was left as the Fatty in the family. Bummer. HUGE bummer. You see, I have two beautiful kids and a smokin’ hot wife. So being a fatty with such a beautiful family makes you feel like the ugly guy they just keep in the house for charity, even though I know that’s not really the case. At least, I don’t think it is. Probably should double check on that later. I digress. Actually, the bummer of it all is that I have never really had the energy to be the kind of husband and father to my wife and children that I want to be and am called to be. God doesn’t want this for me.

So I am making the change. Gym membership. Trainer hired. Diet started. And one heck of a year in store for me. And this time next year, I won’t be a Fatty anymore. Care to join me?

P.S. My Dad has challenged me to the 2013 Cooper River Bridge Run. And yes, this is the worst mistake he has ever made. Is there a Bible verse that says I shouldn’t embarrass my father? Oh well…

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea Andrew. I look forward to following your progress. Not only can this be an encouragement to others but it will also provide a source of accountablility for you. And yes, you do have a flair for writing. Debbie P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, congratulations on getting started.

    Some tips, just from personal experience? It is very good to have goals, but forget about giving yourself a 1-year deadline. This is for the rest of your life. You want a permanent outcome. Resist the temptation to weigh on the scale constantly.

    I look forward to running the Bridge Run with you next year!

    Bryan Ganey
    http://www.ganey.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto- time limited goals are no good. Milestones like 10% lost or be able to do 10 push-ups are good though.

    Glad to see you started your own blog after your post on Hank's. Good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm the fatty father. Well I used to be. Went around and around wondering whether to put my half cents in. All over the page on this one! Bottom line? If your mother and I getting healthy had such an impact on you as you say, that in itself makes it all the more worthwhile! Funny how busy you get raising your kids and sometimes forget that they're right there - watching, listening, and learning and even perhaps emulating from guess who? You! But my philosophy on raising kids? No matter how hard you try to screw 'em up, go figure, they turn out ok after all! So proud of ours you can't begin to imagine! Last thing. If Andrew thinks he's going to smoke his old man in the Cooper River Bridge Run next year, I want to know what he's been smokin' cause it must be something! Wife says while we two are talking smack with each other she may just run past us on the bridge next year. Oh, It's on!

    ReplyDelete